September 26, 2011

[Interview] Lee Min Ho – KNTV Guide 2011Oct

Please tell us about the project. The story’s male lead carries the fate of having to avenge his dead father, and fights with the evil ones using the identity of a city hunter. He meets different people in the process and the unfolding story shows his concern for humanity. The focus is on the activities of the city hunter using the beautiful city of Seoul as its backdrop. What type of character is Lee Yoon Sung? He is a person with a warm heart who chooses to go about revenge using the proper method. He also meets a woman and starts to learn to love in the story. This drama is originally a popular manga in Japan. Did you know of the original manga before this? It is a very famous manga so I knew about it. I was still very young when the manga was released so I did not read it before. However through the drama, I came to know about its content and started to understand why it was so popular. You chose to take part as the lead in this type of project. How did you feel when they offered you the role? This is the first time that this famous manga is turned into a drama, so truthfully I had to cautiously consider it (???) and I could feel the pressure of bearing such a role. However, it is such an attractive character that I wanted to give it a try. What caused you to choose this project? I thought that perhaps if a young actor in his mid twenties took on the role, there would be a new and fresh interpretation to the character. Furthermore, I wanted to try an action genre which I haven’t yet had the chance to participate in so it was attractive to me. I also thought that I could show a more mature me through the drama. I thought your height and wildness?? fits the leading role in this project really well. Truthfully speaking, I was very worried initially about how it would turn out if my height would be an obstacle when I executed the action scenes. Thankfully it didn’t come out that way and calmed my nerves. I will continue practicing the ‘action’ moves and take up the challenge. I heard that before filming commenced, you practiced at the action school. To what extent did you prepare for it? I prepared for around 4 months where I’d visit the action school around 4 days a week to thoroughly master the basics. After that there is a Philippines martial arts known as Kali. Since I wanted to show a new type of action scenes that has not been shown in korean dramas up til now, I concentrated on practicing that martial arts. I would repeatedly practice the moves. What were the difficulties you faced when filming action scenes? Since korean dramas are filmed on a very tight schedule, I always have my regrets after filming. If we had more time on our hands, I’d be able to deliver to the extent I want to. However, I was limited by time, so it’s a pity. However, I really enjoyed the car and wire action. I’ve always liked things like jetcoaster(sth like rollercoaster??) so it was fun filming those and helped me unwind from lethargy. Please tell us something memorable that happened during filming. When filming the last half of the drama, there was a period when we had torrential rain. So there was a week when I filmed continuously indoors. I remember that. Since korean dramas are aired right after filming (filming real time), it was hard for me. Yoon Sung is someone who shoulders a sad destiny. How did you seek to portray the complex emotions such as the sadness and anger of Yoon Sung? First of all, there’s the character of Yoon Sung’s dad Jin Pyo, who hands the responsibility of revenge over to Yoon Sung. Yoon Sung’s sadness and anger is mostly felt through Jin Pyo. Since Jin Pyo is naturally a very ‘strong’ character, when playing Yoon Sung, I tried to use the right proportion of emotions for each scene instead of forcing Yoon Sung to also be a ‘strong’ character. I tried to be true to Yoon Sung’s feelings and portray his emotions and what he felt up to that part of his life. Which scene do you think is the highlight of the drama? It’s the last scene in the last episode, where he faces off with Jin Pyo, guns aiming at each other. It is imprinted in my mind coz it is the saddest scene I’ve ever acted in. Kim Sang Joong who plays the role of Jin Pyo displays a cool-headed charisma in this drama. Is there anything in particular that you are in awe of him when you acted together? He will rehearse the lines with the parties involved before filming each scene and I learnt a lot from that. He always keeps check on the extent of the feelings of the characters before filming. Also, he doesn’t just portray his character as a strong and lonely man. Even within the strong exterior, there are various different emotions that he portrays. When I see all these, I think he’s really a sunbae and someone who acts extremely well. How was it like, working with PD Jin Hyuk who also directed ‘brilliant legacy’ and ‘prosecutor princess’? Director Jin Hyuk is a very considerate person. He tells the actors clearly how to portray the emotions for each scene. He can convey his thoughts concretely and is an outstanding person. Therefore he is able to bring out and improve the actor’s acting ability. He actively engages in conversation with the actors on the filming set, making sure that they are able to portray the emotions of the characters more clearly, which helps develop the story well. After the project ended, how did you spend your time? It’s been around a month since the project ended. however, i’ve only had 4 to 5 days of rest. I was busy meeting with fans overseas and filming CFs. When september arrives, I plan to continue on with the things i’ve been learning since a while ago, things that I’ve wanted to do. Besides that, I’ll make sure I rest well and eat a lot… I want to just rest and sleep. (laugh) What is the one thing you want to do most? Sleep as much as I want! I slept from 10 last night til 10 this morning (laugh). I feel a sense of freedom right here in Japan, it feels good as if I’m resting. Thank you! Lastly, as a representative of the hallyu stars and since it’s the 15th anniversary for KNTV, please leave us a message! I truly congratulate KNTV on its 15th anniversary. 15 years is more than half of the lifetime i’ve experienced up til now (laugh). Please continue to support KNTV. I also hope to become an actor who can meet (communicate) with you through KNTV. Source: KNTV Guide shared by Luxury Minho Transation: webby @ soompi (based on Korean translation by 유동희 @ DCMH)

No comments:

Post a Comment